Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Second Coat

Here is a look at my painting work station. It is at my hand-carving bench in the studio, on the second floor of my home. I have lots of brushes for when I teach people how to make the butterflies, hummingbirds, and dragonflies. We use good brushes because you cannot do a good job with bad brushes. If a brush does not cost over $3 it is not good enough. Sorry, but that is just the way it works. You see my duckie helper here- I don't even try to do good art work without his help. Some of my paint tubes are more than 10 years old and the paint is going bad. It will be fun to buy some new tubes soon.
The first coat of paint, the undercoat, was used primarily to define the color areas.
The second coat of paint is not much thicker than the first coat. It is a little darker than the first coat and will make the shadowed areas.
I'm really just staining the wood and not applying paint at this point. I'm a wussy painter- not very bold, but I like the effect that ultimately results from many thin coats.

The color is not very intense,but it is starting to build up. On the belly you can see some discrete greyish lines to indicate shadowed areas.
Now the color will start to be more intense and the fun begins.

No comments: