Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Now THAT'S a Bluebird

Today the bird became a bluebird. You can tell it is not a wren, not an eagle, nor a hummingbird. So far, so good.
Reduced abdomen, moved legs waaaay back, rounded the head fore and aft, separated the wing tips, refined the wings to make them straighter, and sweated bullets over 'getting it right'. Talk about separation anxiety. Separating those thin tail feathers about gave me an ulcer. Have to admit I chickened out and did a lot of the final finishing with hand sanding. I wasn't about to take a chance of nicking a finished area. The tips of the tails are cross-grain and very delicate, so they will have to be handled very carefully. I support the delicate parts with my fingers while working on them.

4 comments:

Donna Menke said...

I'm curious how many people are reading my blog. I've changed the setting so that anyone can comment. Please leave a 'howdy' for my edification. Thanks, Donna

Anonymous said...

good morning this is your bro
love your work
mike

Donna Menke said...

Thanks Bro! Was wondering if this comment thing even worked. I've been having some trouble uploading photos to the blog- will keep trying. Hope to update soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

Never knew what a BLOG was before. Very interesting on both =your's and Ray's. The "bird" (since it has an eye) is becoming more realistic.
See if this message posts?
Kathy and Jim